9.09.2012

Movie & Popcorn Time

We are suckers for movies (and The Office). We love to sit back, relax and watch a movie together. Especially now on our big Sony flat screen (It came with our apartment! Sweet!) and with PPTV. PPTV is an online streaming website in China. It has an endless library of movies and TV shows that load instantly.

We recently watched Akeeklah and the Bee and the Hunger Games.

Akeeklah and the Bee

This was such a great, heart warming movie. It made me want to study or go back to school. It has a very common plot line, i.e. troubled teacher to troubled student, who end up inspiring each other. It is common, yes, but always makes for a good story and this movie was no exception. If you haven't seen it, we highly recommend it! And Rotten Tomatoes gave it an 84%.



The Hunger Games
If you are a reader and enjoy series, you will love The Hunger Games. Zachary and I read all of the books in just a few weeks, maybe faster. We loved the story and the characters, Katniss and Peeta. We were super excited when we found out they were making a movie! But because we live overseas we weren't able to see it, until my mom and grandmother just sent us the DVD this past week! We were stoked!

Watching the trailer, I thought I would be disappointed. The characters seemed so far from what I imagined them to be while reading the books. But after watching the movie, I enjoyed the actors they choose and the set up of the movie.  I think they did a great job with the movie (but I'm not much of a critic), though they did leave out parts I really loved in the book. But overall, I thought they did a good job. Also, I was impressed that they didn't make the movie too bloody/violent. It's such a violent concept, the Hunger Games, and was pretty descriptive in the book, but the movie stayed fairly clean. I don't do well with dark movies, so I appreciated this. If you haven't seen it yet, see it!

Also, we can't talk movies, without talking popcorn!

One of our favorite treats is stove popped popcorn! Forget the high calorie bagged popcorn, try popping some yourself! (Or air popping--Its next to no calories!)

Stove Popped Popcorn

1/4 oil over low to medium high heat
Popcorn kernels
sea salt

Place 1 to 2 kernels in the pan and cover.
Wait 30 seconds or so, until the kernel pops. 

Once the kernel pops, pour in popcorn kernels. 
Pour in enough to cover the entire bottom of the pan, 1 kernel deep. 

Leave lid cracked to allow steam to escape, to keep popcorn light and fluffy.
Pop until popping slows to one to two pops per second. 
Take off heat. 
Pour in a bowel.
Salt to desired taste.

Movie Time!


What movies do you suggest we watch next? 
What's your favorite popcorn toppings?

2 comments :

Carolyn said...

Have you seen 7 Days in Utopia? If not, you two might like it. We really enjoyed it!! We also liked Bernie a lot, because it's a true story and happened an hour or so up the road from Hemphill. Jack Black, Shirley MacLaine, Matthew McConahuay (sp?). All play great East Texas parts!! :) Lots of locals weigh in and they are just great. Just ate popcorn. Sounds like you have the knack for popping it to come out fluffy. We always put butter on ours. I know, that's not too healthy, but once in a while, it's okay!! Thanks for sharing about the two movies. Glad you liked Hunger Games. I have not seen it. Read the books, though.

shelly said...

Yum now I am hungry for popcorn !! I gotta have the butter though !! Haha Do you use olive oil? Glad you had fun watching the movies and eating popcorn! Mickey just told me he was a extra and in a bunch of scenes in " Saving Sarah Cain" not sure what it is about but if you want to see a familiar face in a movie!! Love you

Pin It button on image hover